Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The Gift (Pellinor #1) by Alison Croggon


Summary (From Goodreads)


Maerad is a slave in a desperate and unforgiving settlement, taken there as a child when her family is destroyed in war. She is unaware that she possesses a powerful gift, a gift that marks her as a member of the School of Pellinor. It is only when she is discovered by Cadvan, one of the great Bards of Lirigon, that her true heritage and extraordinary destiny unfolds. Now she and her teacher, Cadvan, must survive a punishing and uncertain journey through a time and place where the dark forces they battle with stem from the deepest recesses of other-worldly terror. (Note: This book has also been published as 'The Naming)

5/5 Star Review

I have loved this book for many years I first read this book when I was about 9 years old. Since then I have re-read it many times resulting in it being the first series of books that I have dog-eared, so much that they have to be held together with tape.

This book is a adventure fantasy book with a well developed world. The world has a lot of history and which is revealed through the book. I would say that this series has a slight Lord of the Rings feel to it with good vs evil and the Elidhu's feel a bit like Elves. There is also talk of 'Marshlights' which made me thing of Lord of the Ring.

Maerad changes a lot though out this book and continues to grow even more in the rest of the series. Cavan is a bit of a mysterious character at the beginning of this book, and his mood can quickly change particularly at the start of the book. One of my favourite minor characters is Silvia as I love the way which Maerad interacts with her.

Such a great book and one I will no doubt be rereading for many more years to come.