Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Bookish Thoughts #2: Reasons we Read - when love is gone.

Yes you read that title right - why would you spend hours of your life to reading a book if you aren't enjoying it you ask. Well never fear I'll tell you why!

 

So be totally honest March so far has been a bit of a 'meh' reading month for me. I read one 5 star book at the beginning of the month but since then my books have been all hovering about the 3.5 star mark (maybe it's some form of half reading slump?).  However, this did get me thinking (most of the time this is a bad idea.... but not today) what are the reasons I keep reading the books I'm not enjoying?


1) Reviewing


This is a fairly new reason for me, and if I am really hating the book this isn't even a consideration as I know I won't write a review for it. However, if I have got a few things I liked and a things I didn't like then somewhere in the back of my mind I thinking "When you write your review you'll have lots to write about". So yes knowing I was planning on reviewing a book can keep me reading it.
 

2) Hard Earned Money

 
I will always be a girl on a budget when it comes to book buying, so when I spend my hard earned money on a book (especially when it's a new hardback!) I expect every page to be good so I get my money's worth out of it.
 
 

3) The End

 
Finding out the ending to a book is THE main reason I will keep reading a book I hate, I just need to know what happens in the end  - sometimes this is a bad choice as the ending can be worst than the rest of the book!
 
 

4)  Peer -Pressure

 
It less peer-pressure and more self- inflicted pressure really. So, I read reviews where people rave about a book and I will keep reading in the hope that I will get to the part in the book where the other person fell in love with the it - sometimes I get there and I totally understand what they were talking about and other times I just have to accept the reality that everyone has different tastes.  
 

5) Just GET OUT!

 
There are some books that have been on my TBR shelf for far too long and I'll just keep reading so I can get them off that shelf and make way for more books.
 
***

So there we have it, some of the reasons I keep going when -maybe- I shouldn't! Hopefully I'll get to some great books soon so I will want to keep reading! Do you have any other reasons that you keep reading when your love for the book is gone let me know!