Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Friday, March 18, 2016

Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman

Add on Goodreads
Buy From: Amazon (UK) || Amazon (US) || Wordery || 

Synopsis from Goodreads

When her father is murdered for a journal revealing the location of a hidden gold mine, eighteen-year-old Kate Thompson disguises herself as a boy and takes to the gritty plains looking for answers—and justice. What she finds are untrustworthy strangers, endless dust and heat, and a surprising band of allies, among them a young Apache girl and a pair of stubborn brothers who refuse to quit riding in her shadow. But as Kate gets closer to the secrets about her family, a startling truth becomes clear: some men will stop at nothing to get their hands on gold, and Kate’s quest for revenge may prove fatal.



5 Star Review

This is one of those books that just after the release was all over my Twitter and Bloglovin feeds and it caught my eye. I had never read a YA Western - or in fact any western -  the idea intrigued me but it wasn't till a few months ago I really, really fancied a western so I watched my first Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western *who knew they were that good!?!* and bought this book.
 
This book is full of action from the beginning right though to the end. We quickly get a feel of the Wild West in the first few chapters, with the brutal murder of her father. Kate is a strong character who is fuelled by revenge who isn't afraid to what ever it takes to kill those responsible for her fathers murder. Although, she isn't completely heartless and this kept me on the edge of my seat when it came to any kind of confrontation as I wondered 'will she kill him or show him mercy' there were a few characters you just knew had to die in Kate's eyes.  
 
 
"Now for the love of God, lower that damn pistol."
"All right," I say.
And I do.
Right after I shoot him through the skull.
-Page 9
 
 
The romance in this book wasn't surprise and there was a few BIG hints and flashing lights about which way it was going. Although I have to say there was a few moments where I wondered if they were going continue being together once the action and adventure died down (as much as it  ever did in the wild west!). I also likes the well worn trope used in this romance, one of my favourites.
 
 
'Why's he gotta be so honourable? If he were more like {insert name1},
he'd be easier to hate.
But somehow I like {name1} just fine but I can't stand {name2}.'
 -Page 100
 
 
There is quite a few twists as we near the end - really anything can happen *plays the Ellie Goulding song* - I didn't see some of them twists coming, there wasn't even really a hint for one of them. I was happy with the ending of this book didn't end with a big show down - although expect one of them - it was great to read the 'after'. (Also guys check out the authors notes at the end it was fascinating to read where the facts were woven into the fiction and also to read how Erin came about writing a YA Western book- something that I hope we will begin to see more of.)
 
Overall, a great book full of shootouts, the search for gold, the good old Mulan trope and a great romance. And a kick-ass female character who knows how to use a gun and survive in the Wild West. *Wishing for a sequel featuring these character's again - one can always hope.*

 
There are so many country songs which fit this story so well (Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert - do some real kick- but songs) but this one is my latest find (Thanks to Alwyn Hamilton's - author of Rebel of the Sands - character playlist)