Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Show Me The Books #8 - Dragons || Big Fire Breathing Monsters - Who Are Often Just Misunderstood

 
Show me the Books is a feature where I share with you some books within a theme, and then hopefully you, will tell me in the comments (or link to your own blog post) other books that you have heard of or have read within that theme.
 
Today's theme is DRAGONS!!
 
 
Enough said! Today if I have read it (and enjoyed it), and it has dragons in it I shall share it today. I thought that all my books today would me High Fantasy but quite a few on these are -what I would class as maybe- Urban Fantasy/Supernatural (basically modern day but with DRAGONS!).
 
1) Talon (Talon #1) by Julie Kagawa
 
Talon is one of the more popular books on this list. I picked this book up a few years ago because I had read Julie Kagawa's Iron King book and it's sequels and loved them. I gave this book 4 stars when I first read it but I really need to give it a re-read as I have the second book but haven't read it yet.
 
Shortened Synopsis From Goodreads
Long ago, dragons were hunted to near extinction by the Order of St. George, a legendary society of dragon slayers. Hiding in human form and growing their numbers in secret, the dragons of Talon have become strong and cunning, and they're positioned to take over the world with humans none the wiser.
Ember and Dante Hill are the only sister and brother known to dragonkind. Soldier Garret Xavier Sebastian has a mission to seek and destroy all dragons, and Talon's newest recruits in particular. But he cannot kill unless he is certain he has found his prey: and nothing is certain about Ember Hill. Faced with Ember's bravery, confidence and all-too-human desires, Garret begins to question everything that the Order has ingrained in him: and what he might be willing to give up to find the truth about dragons.
 
 
2) Blood Destiny Series by Helen Harper
 
This is one of the most recent dragon reads for me. I gave this series 4 stars and you can read my series review here.
 
Synopsis From Goodreads
Mackenzie Smith has always known that she was different. Growing up as the only human in a pack of rural shapeshifters will do that to you, but then couple it with some mean fighting skills and a fiery temper and you end up with a woman that few will dare to cross. However, when the only father figure in her life is brutally murdered, and the dangerous Brethren with their predatory Lord Alpha come to investigate, Mack has to not only ensure the physical safety of her adopted family by hiding her apparent humanity, she also has to seek the blood-soaked vengeance that she craves.
 
3) Firelight (Firelight #1) by Sophie Jordan
 
Firelight was a library discovery for me, I read my libraries edition and then a few years later went out and bought the whole trilogy for my bookshelf. Another 4 stars for this book, my only issue with it was that I felt as though the blurb gave too much away about the first book and I was waiting for 'new' things to happen.
 
Shortened Synopsis From Goodreads
Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki, a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.
Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will.
 
4) Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
All I remember about this book is that I loved the world that was built in this book. The sequel came out a few months ago and I keep meaning to check it out.
 
Synopsis From Goodreads
Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.
 
5) Flying Blind by Deborah Cooke
I read Flying Blind sooooo many years ago, all I remember about it is that the main character was the only female shifter and was protected and sheltered by the guys around her. 
 
Synopsis From Goodreads
Zoë Sorensson is perfectly normal, except she's been told she's destined for great things. Zoë's the one female dragon shapeshifter of her kind. But Zoë is at the bottom of the class when it comes to being Pyr and her powers are AWOL, so she's sent to a Pyr boot camp.
Zoë quickly realizes that she has to master her powers yesterday, because the Pyr are in danger and boot camp is a trap. The Mages want to eliminate all shifters and the Pyr are next in line-unless Zoë and her friends can work together and save their own kind. 
 
6) The Princess's Dragon by Susan Trombley
This book is more on the fantasy side Princess and kingdoms and potential wars etc. It was a book full of twists and turns which earned it 4 stars (again)!
 
Shorted Synopsis From Goodreads
As she stands on the edge of achieving the life she has only dreamed about, Sondra's handsome suitor, Derek, prepares to propose, and her poverty-stricken kingdom of Ariva uncovers a valuable resource that will change its future forever.
Everything seems perfect in Sondra's life until she encounters a wizard who transforms her into a monstrous dragon. Forced to flee from the man she adores, Sondra blunders into the territory of Tolmac, a powerful and ancient black dragon.
 
 
NOW IT'S OVER TO YOU 

Have you read any of these book's I've mentioned? What did you think of them?

Can you recommend me any good dragon books? As apparently I have yet to read a 5 star book with dragons!