Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Novella Review - Shattered Glass by Maria V.Snyder

Add on Goodreads
Buy from: Amazon (UK) || Amazon (US)
Series: A Glass Series Novella (#3.5)
Kindle Edition, 86 pages
Published November 19th 2016

Synopsis from Goodreads

While trying to teach her adopted daughter, Reema, how to work with molten glass, Opal receives a letter from Master Magician Zitora Cowan requesting Opal's immediate help. Zitora resigned from the Sitian Council over two years ago to search for her lost sister, and no one has heard from her since. The letter is probably a trick, but Opal refuses to pass up the opportunity to help her mentor, who may be in genuine trouble. Good thing Opal isn't that easy to fool. With her two soldier friends Nic and Eve providing backup, the three travel to a small town in the Jewelrose Clan. But can they rescue the Master Magician without being caught in the same trap?
 

Review

3.5 Stars
 
I feel as though I haven't talk too much about this series here on Hills of Books, but the Glass series (the  glass trilogy not the wider chronicles) is one of my all time favourite fantasy books. So when I heard that we were going to get a novella following my favourite character Opal, I can't express how expectant I was. However, I wasn't wowed by this book. There were parts that I didn't quite understand I think this may be due to me not being up to date on Yelena's story, but it was a bit confusing. I also wanted to have see more of Devlen and his interactions with Opal, and it would have nice to have seen the family dynamic. It also was very short and although it is a novella the 'challenge' set before Opal was seeming difficult, but it felt as though it was resolved really fast. Opal needs another full length book or two (maybe three or four??!) - at least in my opinion.  
 
Despite these issues I have mentioned I loved seeing all my favourite characters from the glass trilogy. I really hope that once Maria V. Synder has finished with her soulfinder trilogy she will return to Opal's story. 
 
Has anyone read the Soulfinder trilogy yet? How much of Opal do we get to read about?