Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Friday, May 26, 2017

WEE REVIEW: The Prophecy (Saga of the Chosen #1) by Petra Landon

Synopsis from Goodreads

A powerful wizard threatens the Chosen from beyond the grave. Can they unravel The Prophecy in time to save their world!

Chosen have walked the earth for time immemorial. Tasia is a very special Chosen. Warned to keep her distance from her brethren, she makes a fateful decision one night to assist an injured Shape-shifter. Suddenly, Tasia finds herself in the cross-hairs of Shifter mercenaries encroaching on San Francisco. Forced out of the shadows, Tasia has little choice but to ally herself with the local Shifter Pack led by a formidable and dangerous Alpha Protector. In the cut-throat world of a Shifter Pack, Tasia must fight to protect her secrets while struggling to negotiate with the enigmatic Alpha who holds his violent Pack together with a ruthless hand on its reins.

Grave danger threatens their world as a powerful wizard exploits an old prophecy to divide the Chosen. When the Pack is asked to investigate the twenty-five year old mystery, Tasia is drawn deeper into a past that risks raising the suspicions of the very Chosen she hides from. As danger closes in on her, Tasia must decide who to trust with the deadly secrets she guards.

Published January 27th 2017
Source: Bought
 
Wee Review (4 Stars)
 
This was a bit of surprise of a book. Although I had read good reviews of this book, I didn't have that high of an expectations for it, with the generic urban fantasy cover and the unoriginal title I couldn't keep my hopes that high for it. However, I did give this book a try based on the review and recommendation of Bite Into Books, and I am glad I listened and gave this book a chance, because it has pleasantly surprised me. 
 
Pros:
 
  • Complex and mysterious main character with a hidden past. Although some of her secrets are revealed in this book, I think even at the end of this book there is some secrets she is still holding onto tightly - can't wait to find out what they are in future books.
  • Through-out this book we get a ever growing cast of secondary character which are developed in such a great way. All of them have their own personalities and characteristics, such a great group which are deep and complex as individual characters but to read about their interactions just highlights their complexities and I feels as though I got to know them just as much as the main character.
  • Complex super natural communities, which all have their own governing structures with power plays happening all over the place both inside these communities and between them.
  • I really enjoyed the 'investigative' aspect of the plot. As this unlikely group of allies work together to piece together the complex plan put together by Lady Bethesda many years ago and trying to made the connection between her action then to some more current events.
  • My favourite kind of romance -  hate to attraction,  for a hostile but sometimes caring guy. 
 
Cons
 
  • The only negative for me is the sudden time and character perspective jumps. I found these a bit disorientating although it did keep you on your toes, and I can understand why the author would want to create that effect.
 
Final Thoughts
 
Over all I enjoyed this book, I look forward to the release of the sequels, where I hope that answers will be discovered, secrets revealed, and friendships and alliances strengthen and evolve.


.