Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, July 08, 2017

WEE REVIEW: Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay

Synopsis from Goodreads
 
Game of Thrones meets the Grimm's fairy tales in this twisted, fast-paced romantic fantasy-adventure about Sleeping Beauty's daughter, a warrior princess who must fight to reclaim her throne.

Though she looks like a mere mortal, Princess Aurora is a fairy blessed with enhanced strength, bravery, and mercy yet cursed to destroy the free will of any male who kisses her. Disguised as a boy, she enlists the help of the handsome but also cursed Prince Niklaas to fight legions of evil and free her brother from the ogre queen who stole Aurora's throne ten years ago.

Will Aurora triumph over evil and reach her brother before it's too late? Can Aurora and Niklaas break the curses that will otherwise forever keep them from finding their one true love?
 
 
Series: Standalone
Source: Bought
 
My Wee Review
3.5 Stars
 
This wasn't quite what I was expecting when I originally heard about this book. I was expecting a sleeping beauty re-telling but instead we get an entirely different fairy tale. I loved how many 'tradition' fairy tales are mentioned or hinted at, though out this book. 
 
Although I did enjoy this book there were a few things which a bit confusing. The prologue was the first part which confused me, I think that this was meant to give a bit of context and background to Aurora's story but it just didn't make much sense to me until I got a few chapters in the main story. The second aspect which confused me was that the main character is called Aurora, however it is her mother who is sleeping beauty! (I thought traditionally it was sleeping beauty herself who was called Aurora?).
 
Despite this confusion early on in the book I did enjoy this book, it gives of the whole fairy tale vibe perfectly, with the mysterious forest, the fairy blessings and curses  and the evil queen. Although thankfully no damsel in distress.